Position: Head of Department (Biomedical Engineering)
This is essentially an academic position with the ideal candidate expected to head the Biomedical Engineering department. S/he should preferably be a Biomedical Engineer with vast experience in Academic and Biomedical Engineering projects. S/he will take a lead role and show demonstrated ability to work under minimum supervision by teaching, assessing and mentoring students in the repair, calibrating, and carrying out preventive maintenance on a wide range of medical equipment. S/he will also involve him/herself in curriculum development and reevaluation, in keeping with national and international trends. The person MUST be highly motivated and possess innovation abilities in the field of Biomedical Engineering.
S/he may from time to time be requested to participate in the Inspection, installation, and perform inventory assessments and preventive maintenance of medical equipment.
Reports To: Academic Registrar
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Spearhead training of Biomedical Engineers and technicians.
- Manage the academic and administrative aspects of Bio-medical department faculty.
- Develop and Oversee implementation of preventive, predictive, corrective and routine repair and maintenance schedules.
- Manage and allocate workloads to Biomedical Engineering staff and faculty
- Design biomedical equipment and devices, such as artificial internal organs, replacements for body parts, and machines for diagnosing medical problems
- Install, adjust, maintain, repair, or provide technical support for biomedical equipment
- Oversee testing, troubleshooting and repairing malfunctions for medical equipment
- Evaluate the safety, efficiency, and effectiveness of biomedical equipment
- Train clinicians and other personnel on the proper use and maintenance of biomedical equipment
- Prepare procedures, write technical reports, publish research papers, and make recommendations based on their research findings
- Spearhead research and innovation in the Biomedical engineering department in aspects of the biological systems of humans in collaboration with scientists, chemists, and medical scientists
- Present research findings to scientists, nonscientist executives, clinicians, hospital management, engineers, other colleagues, and the public.
- Maintain supplies and biomedical inventory by checking stock, anticipating needs, placing and expediting orders, and verifying receipt.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
The applicant must hold:
- A degree or higher qualification in Biomedical Engineering from a recognized University.
- Masters in Biomedical Engineering will be an added advantage.
- Must possess relevant experience in the field of specialization.
- Demonstrated work experience in the medical field.
- Demonstrated people skills and ability to work in a diverse society.
- Demonstrated interest in research, innovation and publication.
- S(he) should be a go-getter who exhibits territorial management aptitude